The Parish of Sutton-in-Craven is divided into two areas called Wards, Sutton-in-Craven Ward No.1 and Sutton in Craven Ward No 2.
If a resident of Sutton-in-Craven wishes to bring a matter to the attention of the Parish Council there are options available to them:
The Parish Council itself is made up of nine Parish Councillors from all walks of life. They are all volunteers and receive no pay for the work they do on behalf of the Parish.
Parish Councillors are democratically elected every four years at the Local Government Elections, although from time to time Parish Council seats need to be filled, for various reasons, within the term of office.
To be eligible for office a prospective candidate must be 18 or over, a British subject or citizen of the Irish Republic and an elector. In addition the candidate must have, during the whole of the twelve months before the day of nomination, resided in the parish or within three miles of it, or occupied as owner of tenant any land or premises therein or had their principal or only place of work there. There are also several disqualifications which may apply which include undischarged bankruptcy, employee or contractor of the council and criminal convictions. (Further criteria apply and full details can be obtained from the Parish Council's office.)
Each year a Chairman and a Vice-Chairman are elected by the Council. The Chairman, or Vice-Chairman in his or her absence, presides over the meeting ensuring that the meeting is conducted in an orderly and efficient manner. The decisions of the Parish Council are then carried out by the Council's staff led by the Clerk.
There are full meetings of the Parish Council every month throughout the year, which take place at the Community Centre, North Street, Sutton-in-Craven. Meetings are held on the first Monday of the month unless it is a Bank Holiday then the second, commencing at 6.45pm.
All meetings of the Council are open to the public and there is a period put aside for questions from the public
The full Council makes the decisions. We do not have separate committees.
During the Parish Council meeting the Councillors will look at planning applications received by the Planning Authority, Craven District Council pass comments.
The Parish Council always tries to represent the views put forward by local people in this regard, although sometimes this can prove difficult when an application is controversial and have both vocal support and opposition amongst local residents. Nevertheless, members of the Council take a vigilant approach in representing local viewpoint, and encourage objectors/supporters of planning applications to attend meeting and put forward their views.
Like all public bodies the Parish Council must prepare Accounts each Financial Year (1 April to 31 March), and these have to be independently audited by an internal and an external auditor.
Sutton Park: is a well-used park managed and maintained by the Parish Council on behalf of the Village. The park offers playing fields, Pavilion, Multi Use Games Area, Play Equipment, Boating Lake, War Memorial, Putting Green, Gardens, Walkways and Toilets.
The Jubilee Pavilion Tearoom opened in 2004 and is managed by the Parish Council with the help of its part time staff to provide a service for the community. It is a non-profit making facility and all funds purely go to covering overheads.
The Parish Council rent out allotments on Bridge Road for a small annual fee. There are at present twenty three plots. The allotment site is currently full and we do have a waiting list.
If you would like to add your name to the list, please contact Raymond Sonley, 01535 635476 or the parish clerk.
Six and half acres of woodland known as Lumb/Sutton Clough, (Sutton Hall Estate) was conveyed to the Parish Council in November 1933 (approved 1934) together with maps and fishing rights dated 1963.
Hangingstone Quarry / Lund’s Tower
The site was chosen by James Lund of nearby Malsis Hall as the site for the construction of a monument, possibly to commemorate the Golden Jubilee of Queen Victoria in 1887. He built a single tower containing a spiral staircase which has become popularly known as Sutton Pinnacle.
Lund’s Tower was conveyed to the Parish Council in 1997
Crag Nook Delph
Land conveyed to the Parish Council in 1991. Primarily used as a picnic area. A beacon is also sited on the area.
We pay for maintenance and energy charges of streetlights in the village. The Council owns 62 of these.
Community Project Support
We initiate and fund (sometimes with the aid of external grants) capital projects that benefit the community.
We support village events, organisations and charities that the council consider essential or beneficial to the community.
Seats, benches and shelters
We maintain the seats, benches and shelters within the village.
There are two Parish Council notice boards one in the Park and the other on Holme Lane which are used for the display of Parish Council agendas for the next meeting.
We work with the Police to safeguard the village against crime, vandalism and anti-social behaviour.
We advise the District and County Council on traffic, roads and other miscellaneous matters.
The Parish Council are represented on the following outside bodies:
Craven Associations of Local Councils, Sutton Village Hall, Elderly Initiative