Listed buildings are buildings of special architectural or historic interest that are contained in lists compiled by the Secretary of State for the Environment.
The Buildings are classified in grades to show their relative importance.
The grades are are Grade I, Grade ll* and Grade ll. Grade ll is the common listing.
If a person wishes to execute works for the demolition of a listed building for its alteration or extension in any manner, whether internally or externally, which would affect its character as a building of Special Architectural or Historic Interest, listed building consent must first be obtained. If a person does not obtain consent from the local authority, he/she shall be guilty of a criminal offence, Owners are advised to consult the Planning Department if in doubt regarding any proposal.
Grade ll Listed Buildings
Grade ll listed buildings are buildings of "special architectural or historic interest" which warrant every effort being made to preserve them.
All the listed buildings in Sutton-in-Craven Parish are Grade ll listed and the following sections detail the main characteristics and locations of these structures
Bent Lane, Ellers Road, Elm Road, High Street, Holme Lane, Hall Drive, King Court, Main Street, North Road, Old Oakworth Road, West Lane.
Grid Reference SD9967 4417, Grade II, Listed 10th September 1954
Farmhouse with 1658 datestone. Square rubble with ashlar above the first floor windows where the roof has been raised. Stone slate roof with two chimneys. Two storeys. The entrance inside has a contemporary out shut with 3-light double chamfered window and 2 originally of 2 lights above. One the rear side the windows of the ground floor are double chamfered under a string. They lack all mullions but were of 4, 6 and 2 lights: the central one is broken into by a plain doorway. Above the windows are flush square mullioned. To the left the former stable has 3-light double chamfered stone mullion window brought from an outbuilding at Crag Farm. Inside upstairs there is a circular plaster panel over a fireplace with a stylised motif of grapes. The "WAB" of the datestone which forms the lintel of the doorway stand for William and Anne Barrett.
(A. Wood, ed: Sutton-in-Craven: the Old Community, 1973)
High Jack Field Farmhouse and Barn
Grid Reference SD 9938 434, Grade II, Listed 23 October 1984.
Farmhouse, probably later c17th, with attached barn. Squared rubble with stone slate roof. Two chimneys. Two storeys. The entrance side is much altered but retains one double chamfered stone mullion window without mullion. At the rear with the exception of one small unmoulded window all the windows are double chamfered stone mullioned, lacking some mullions; these were of 4 lights to the ground floor (with hoodmoulds) and 2, 3 and 3 lights above. Inside the main room are 2 beams carried by another which may have been a bressumer. The barn is later but has a chamfered doorway and hewn trusses with angle struts. There was formerly access into the house through a doorway in the party wall.
Bay Horse Inn and Orchard House
Grid ReferenceSE 0066 4385, Grade II, Listed 06 October 1969.
Public house and house, c17th extended and refronted 1784. Hammer-dressed stone with stone slate roof. Two storeys and 4 windows, all 3-light stepped square mullion windows. Plain doorways, but that to Orchard House has a small open pediment over; that to Bay Horse is now concealed by a modern forebuiilding, but has "1784 R Harper" inscribed over. The rear wall of Orchard House has 2 double chamfered stone mullion windows, now of one light to first floor and 2 lights to ground floor (which has an ovolo mouling). Hoodmould to ground floor. Over a doorway is a stone with raised lettering "ROBERT HARPER" and a date said to have read 1659. Three chimneys. Inside Orchard House the roof is composed of 2 massive king-post trusses with stop- chamfered purlins, and 3 heavily pegged intermediate collars, all 5 with bracing to ridge.
Grid Reference SE 0064 4371, Grade II, Listed 10 September 1954
House, mid c17th with c18th additions, refronted early c19th. Rubble with stone slate roof, refronted in ashlar. Two storeys. The rear wing has kneelers, and one 4-light recessed stone mullion window per storey, with on its other side 2 tall 6-light square stone mullion windows with 2 transoms each. The left-hand gable of the main block also has two 3-light double chamfered stone mullion windows. The main front (to Sutton Hall Drive) is symmetrical and of 3 bays. Plinth, cornice and rusticated quoins. The windows are casements with all glazing bars in plain stone surrounds. The doorway has an eared architrave, pulvinated frieze and cornice. 6 raised and fielded panels. Three chimneys. Inside the main block are a small elliptical fireplace and a large segemental one.
Long House Farmhouse
Grid Reference SE0113 4284, Grade II, Listed 23 October 1984
House, later c17th, altered. Coursed rubble with stone slate roof. Three chimneys. Two storeys and 4 bays. The ground floor has an enclosed stone porch with a triangular-headed chamfered doorway, at left-hand end. Next to this is long double chamfered window probably of 10 lights originally, with king mullions between (2:3:3:2) but the last 2 lights obliterated by a C19 plain doorway, over which the hoodmould extends. To right are 2 other double chamfered windows, one formerly of 3-lights lacking both mullions, to the other partly blocked; both have hoodmoulds. First floor windows are all C19 inplain stone surrounds, sashed without glazing bars. In the left-hand gable is one 2-light chamfered window lacking its mullion. At rear is another , with mullion.
Nos. 3 and 5 Elm Road
Grid Reference SE 0048 4410, Grade II, Listed 23 October 1984
Former Farmhouse, probably late c17th or early c18th, now 2 houses. Dressed stone with stone slate roof. Two storeys and 3 bays. Double chamfered stone mullion windows of one, 2 and 2 lights to ground floor; two 2-light windows to first floor, with an unmoulded single-light window to first floor, with an unmoulded single-light window above that below. The ground floor windows have hoodmoulds, one of which extends over one of the present doorways. The rear is altered, with later wings running back. No. 3 is said to bear the date 1633. (A Wood, editor, Sutton-in-Craven: The Old Community, 1973).
Nos. 24 (Craven House) High Street
Grid Reference SE 0052 4400, Grade II, Listed 10 September 1954
House, c17th. Coursed Rubble with stone slate roof. Quoins and kneelers. Front to garden is of 2 storeys and 3 windows. These are double chamfered stone mullion windows with hoodmoulds to ground floor, although between the first 2 on each foor a 2-light C19 window has bee intruded (now blocked to first floor). Chamfered doorway between second and third window. The windows are of 2, 5 and 5 lights below and 2, 3 and 3 lights above. Gable to street has on 2-light window of the same type to first floor. At rear are 2 windows of this type, one of 2 lights which lights the present stairs, and one of 4 lights with king mullion. inside is a C18 fire place. Two chimneys.
The Old Manor House, High Street
Grid Reference SE0054 4403, Grade II, Listed 10 September 1954
Part of a house, early c17th. Squared rubble with stone slate roof. Quoins. Front to street has one window each of 2 storeys. That to ground floor is a 7-light double chamfered stone mullion window, that to first floor a 4-light chamfered stone mullion window. The gable end has a small round-headed first floor light, and an enclosed stone porch with stone gutter to left. Set into the porch is a carved label stop with the letter (?) R. At the rear are 2 double chamfered stone mullion windows, of 3 and 2 lights, and a C18 2-light recessed square mullion window. To chimneys.
Inside the main room has a large segmental fireplace and stop chamfered beams. One door has arched panels and scored rails of early C17 type. The stair has an open string, turned balusters and plain rail and newel. Two doors of raised and fielded panels upstairs.
K6 Telephone Kiosk, High Street
Grid Reference SE0059 440, Grade II, Listed 29 November 2002
Alternatively known as K6 Telephone Kiosk, Main Street, Sutton in Craven. Designed 1935 by sir Giles Gilbert Scott. Made by the Carron Company of Stirlingshire. Cast iron. Square kiosk with domed roof. Un-perforated crowns to top panels and margin glazing to windows and doors.
Black Bull Inn, Holme Lane
Grid Reference SE0057 4409, Grade II, Listed 23 October 1984.
Inn, late c18th or early c19th with later alterations. Squared rubble with stone slates. The long 2-storey facade to the street has a gable at the left-hand end and a blocked carriage entry at the right-hand side. The gable has copings and kneelers and there are quoins to the corner at the left and embedded in the facade. Between tthe quoins on the first floor are 2 flush square mullion windows of 4-lights. The remainder of the openings are of one or 2 lights and are C19 in character. One chimney.
West Lodge & East Lodge with archway between and walls of forecourt
Grid Reference SE 0059 4380, Grade II, Listed 10 September 1954.
Lodges to Sutton Hall, late C19. Elaborate symmetrical Jacobethan composition. Ashlar with slate roofs to lodges. The archway is a wide Tudor arch supported on coupled fluted Doric pilasters, separated by straight-headed entrance with octagonal towers with solid parapets. These have Tudor Gothic windows and porches. Outside each tower is the main part of each lodge, with cross-wing breaking forward. Lodge of 2 storeys also with Tudor Gothic windows of various forms, including a 10-light rectangular bay window to ground floor of cross-wing. Dormer window of 2 lights with shaped gable. The rear of each lodge is similar in form, with simpler details. Attached to each tower is a section of wall enclosing Sutton Hall Drive, of stone with frequent piers joined by low arcades.
No. 7 King's Court
Grid Reference SE 0054 4388, Grade II, Listed 10 September 1954. House, 1789 (datestone). Hammer-dressed stone and stone slate roof. Quoins, coping and kneelers. Two storey and 3 bays. Windows are of 3 lights with square stone mullions and no glazing bars. The door slightly off centre has a pediment with S 17 89 JM inscribed in the tympanum.
Nos. 1 and 2 Garden Place, High Street
Grid Reference SE0107 4436, Grade II, Listed 23 October 1984
House, later c18th. Dressed stone with stone slate roof. Gable copings and kneelers. Two storeys and 3 bays with central, unmoulded doorway. Above this is a single light but to either side on each floor are 3-light recessed square mullion windows. There is a blocked doorway in the right-hand gable.
Church of St. Thomas, Main Street
Grid Reference SE0072 4414, Grade II, Listed 23 October 1984.
Church, 1869 by W.H Crossland. Ashlar with slate roof. Nave, chancel, aisles, west tower, north porch and organ loft. A mature Gothic Revival design with details generally of late Geometric character, as are the 3 bays of the nave. The 2 bays of the clerestory however have square-headed, cusped lights in pairs. The organ loft has a rose window composed of mouchettes. Heavy buttresses. The west tower has diagonal buttresses dying just below a heavy string course with a large grotesques gargoyle at each angle; above these are battlements and 4 short crocketed pinnacles. Louvred belfry windows.
Interior: nave of 3 unequal bays with open timber roof with light scissor construction, slightly different over the 2-bay chancel. Capitals carved with foliage in the style of Southwell. Large white marble pulpit and font of classical character.
Prospect House (Nos. 1 and 2), North Road
Grid Reference SE 0049 4406, Grade II, Listed 1954
House, dated c18th with alteration to 2 cottages. Hammer-dressed stone, stone slate roof. Quoins, copings and kneelers. Two plain doorways under pediments. Two storeys and 2 bays, with stepped 3 light square mullion windows and single light over the doors. Gable chimneys.
Old Oakworth Road
Grid Reference SD 9922 4306, Grade II, Listed 23 October 1984.
Landmark, 1887. Squared dressed stone. A small square tower with plinth and corbelled battlements. Stone spiral stair inside.
Grid Reference SD 9845 4290, Grade II, Listed 23 October 1984.
Landmark, 1898. Tapering pier of triangular section (incorrect - should be square secion), of rock faced stone with coping and sike finial. Said to have been erected as a memorial to the Napolenic Wars, by a member of the Wainman family of Carr Head Hall, Cowling (q.v.).
(A. Wood, editor, Cowling: A Moorland Parish, 1980).
Boundary Stone called Pole Stoop
Grid Reference SE 0139 4167, Grade II, Listed 23 October 1984.
Stone post, date uncertain, now set into wall. The post is roughly squared and is about 7 feet and on its western (narrow) face is incised a small cross flory. A few inches below the cross is cut the letter T.
Garter Farmhouse and attached barn
Grid Reference SE 0045 4218, Grade II, Listed 23 October 1984
Farmhouse and barn in one range, 1695 (datestone) with later alterations. Hammer-dressed stone; stone slate roof with one chimney, kneelers and coping. North side of one house has entrance in an integral stone porch which has a "wuzzing hole" (used in the preparation of wool for spinning). The openings are C19. On south side are two 2-light double chamfered stone mullion windows, lacking all mullions. The attached barn, built of massive stones, has a blocked cart entry next to the house. In the wall opposite, concealed by a lean-to shippon, is a blocked chamfered doorway with date stone over, giving in raised lettering "II:1695:ID".
Nos. 10 and 12 West Lane
Grid Reference SE0054 4387, Grade II, Listed 10 September 1954
House, 1639. Whitewashed coursed rubble with stone slate roof. Three chimneys. Two storeys and 3 bays, encroached upon at right-hand side by an outshut which contains the chamfered doorway to No. 10. No. 12 also has a chamfered doorway between the second and third bays, with a stone hood on consoles. All the windows are double chamfered with stone mullions complete, those to ground floor also having hoodmoulds. they are of 2, 4, and 3 lights to ground floor and 2, 5 and 3 lights to first floor. The outshut has a 2-light window of which only the mullion is chamfered.
Inside " 1639 TB" is scratched on the plaster over the central fireplace. The roof has heavy trusses with trenched purlins.
No. 16 West Lane
Grid Reference SE0054 4386, Grade II, Listed 23 October 1984.
House, 1638 (datestone) but much altered. White-washed coursed rubble with stone slate roof. Three chimneys. Coping and kneelers to left-hand gable. Two storeys. The windows are mostly C19 and all have modern casements, but to either side of the chamfered doorway are chamfered single lights and the lintel of the doorway in inscribed " T 1638 B".
Grid Reference SD 0007 4322, Grade II, listed 23 October 1984,
Farmhouse, probably later C18th. Squared rubble with stone slate roof, kneelers and two chimneys. Two storey and 2 bays, with three-light square mullion windows. At rear a modern outshut preserves 2 datestones: "IDE 1663" in raised lettering with hoodmould over, and "HS
Cranberry Hole Farmhouse
Grid Reference SE0007 4322, Grade II, Listed 23 October 1984
Farmhouse, probably later c17th. Squared stone with stone slate roof and ridge. Two chimneys. Two storeys and 2 bays, the right-hand heightened in early C19. Door at far left in chamfered doorway with decorated lintel. Then a 6-light double chamfered stone mullion window with central double mullion, and a 4-light similar, both with hoodmoulds. To first floor a single light over door, a 5-light double chamfered window and a 3-light flush square mulion window. At rear 2 double chamfered windows of 2 lights. At left-hand side a large chimney breast partly absorbed into a coal shed with chamfered doorway. Inside opposite the door is a very large segmental arched fireplace with moulded surround, containing a small oven and slat cupboard. In the wall separating the bays is a chamfered doorway, and another with a door raised and fielded panels, probably removed from another chamfered doorway with an elliptical head which stands in the wall which partitions the right-hand bay.
Wood Top Farmhouse and attached barn, off West Lane
Grid Reference SE0072 4269, Grade II, Listed 23 October 1984
Farmhouse, late c18th or early c19th, with probably earlier barn attached. Dressed stone with stone slate roof and Stone ridge. Dressed quoins. The roof continues over the barn which is of rubble with large dressed quoins. Two storeys and 3 bays, the left-hand bay having a separate door but of the same build. The windows have flush square stone mullions, only one missing to ground floor left, and are of 3, 2 and 2 lights to ground floor and 2, 2, 5 and 2 lights above. Porch of stone with moulded doorway, gable and finial bears inscription "W & HH 1893" (William and Hannah Hargreaves). The rear wall shows a break between the house and cottage, but not between the house and barn.